Monday, August 20, 2012

Breastfeeding

This morning I started off my breakfast with a chocolate, banana, almond butter and coconut shake. Not too shabby, right? This is something I have found gets my digestive system moving a little bit (helps me poop) before I put some solid food in it. I will hopefully be getting some more of the powdered greens (chocolate flavored this time) to add to the mix to make it more effective. A little while after this I had my usual breakfast with eggs, a wilted green, a piece of the best batch of bacon we've gotten from Herondale Farm and a couple of tomatoes because they are sweet and delicious on top of giving me extra vitamin C and other benefits. I have also stopped taking probiotics in the morning to curb the nausea that they seem to cause.


Breastfeeding
I certainly don't want to pass judgement on anyone about their personal choices but I happened to be a pretty opinionated person and this is an attempt at a warning that my following comments may offend those who choose not to breastfeed.
The only two reasons I can come up with that are acceptable for not breast-feeding your child are: 1. if you physically cannot do it (be it a health problem, impossibility to latch, being a male/male couple, etc...) and 2. complete ignorance about it, which is barely acceptable.
Why when you choose to be a mother (hopefully it is a conscious decision) would you not want to give your baby the best start in life that is available to them? First of all, let's just take a look at the difference between breastmilk and formula under a microscope.


Here is another example of how much breastmilk contains in comparison with formula and cow's milk.
What are the benefits of breastfeeding you ask?


Benefits of breastfeeding for the baby
1. A 50% less cases of ear infections for infants EBF (exclusively breastfed) at least 3 - 6 months
2. A 42% less chance of eczema for infants EBF at least 3 months
3. Babies have 64% less vomiting and diarrhea with any breastfeeding vs. none
4. A 72% less rate of lower respiratory tract infections/like pneumonia, bronchiolitis and
    hospitalization with EBF at least 4 months
5. Asthma is less 40% for children who were breastfed at least 3months
6. Obesity is less 4-24%
7. Type 1 Diabetes is less 19-27% for infants breastfed at least 3months
8. Type 2 Diabetes is less 39% with any breastfeeding vs. none
9. Cancer: ALL less 19% with breastfeeding at least 6 months; AML less 15% with breastfeeding
    at least 6 months (these are two kinds of leukemia’s that affect children)
10. SIDS less 36% with any breastfeeding vs. none

Benefits of breastfeeding for the mother
1. Type 2 Diabetes is less 4-12% for each year of breastfeeding for women without a
    history of gestational Diabetes
2. Pre-menopausal breast cancer less 4.3-28% for each year of breastfeeding
3. Ovarian cancer less 21% for any vs. no breastfeeding and evidence for dose response (i.e.
    greater protection with more breastfeeding)
4. Post-partum depression occurs less for short breastfeeding moms vs. no breastfeeding

Those are just the more scientific facts. Let's talk about all the other things:
-A woman's body will return to pre-pregnancy shape much faster than a non-breastfeeding mother because a feeding mother burns a ton of extra calories as well as she is producing a hormone while doing it that causes her uterus to shrink back to normal size much faster.
-It's free! How can you argue with that? It costs nothing but what you feed yourself and it's always there. You never have to mix up formula, warm a bottle and test it before feeding your baby at 3 am. Plus you will have less bottles to clean.
-Breastfeeding provides your baby with the perfect balance of fat, protein, vitamins and provides preparation of the digestive system for future feeding. You cannot simulate this mix with anything else because it is alive with white protective bloodcells.
-You will have better bonding with your baby and more time to do it. This is preventative of postpartum depression.
-Your baby will be smarter! Not just because of the nutrients you are providing but also because of the time you are spending with your newborn.
-Your baby will most likely sleep better at night as your milk supplies him/her with melatonin during those evening feeding sessions.

Here are two great sources of in depth information on the subject from Web MD and the University of Rochester Medical Center.

Here is a very important read about why a mother may have trouble with breastfeeding because of her baby's tongue. This is an unfortunate situation to find yourself in and thankfully this very smart mother did all of the research for us. You can bet that my husband got his tongue checked by me after reading this and my baby can expect the same thing when it comes out.

For lunch I ate leftover lamb meatballs with homemade baba ghanouj, horseradish mustard, red onion and pickles on top of arugula. Sounds like a weird combo, but it was delicious!


For dinner, we met some friends at Joe's Crab Shack. My sister-in-law told me about their buckets of shrimp and crab and I'd been thinking about it ever since. How could I not try that? Well, the place is a little hokey but the food was good and it was a fun experience. I think that the specific bucket I ordered didn't have enough seasoning on it, as I was trying to be super-primal. Also, the lobster wasn't as worth the work as the crab. Next time I will order differently, but I would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment